What is Autism Spectrum Disorder?
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a neurodevelopmental disorder that is diagnosed at an early age and is characterized by a lack of social interaction, verbal and non-verbal communication, and restricted and repetitive behavior. Autism is on a spectrum that can be moderate to severe and is not outgrown.
Symptom presentations vary greatly along the spectrum, and every child with autism is unique and different. Examples include:
- Difficulty in social situations, such as making eye contact, facial expressions, and conversation
- Difficulty with routine changes
- Repetitive behaviors, such as hand flapping or spinning
- Trouble with pretend play
- Obsessive interests & regulated thinking
My Child was diagnosed with Autism…now what?
When parents are informed that their child has been diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder, it can be difficult for the family to reimagine their child’s future with this pervasive developmental disability. It is important to remember that your child will be able to learn, grow and gain new skills within their potential. Important first steps include educating yourself on the diagnosis, and seeking the professional therapeutic services below.
How can occupational therapy help?
- Social Interaction
- Play Skills
- Daily Living Skills
- Age-Appropriate Behaviors
- Sensory Sensitivities
- Picky Eating
How can physical therapy help?
- Toe Walking
- Balance/Coordination Skills
- Fitness and Endurance Strengthening
How can speech therapy help?
- Augmentative and Alternative Communication (AAC) Device Evaluations and Treatment
- Speech and Language Development
How can educational services help?
- Academic Assessments
- Education Planning (IEP)
- Academic Skill Development
How does Carolina Therapy Connection help with an ASD diagnosis?
Carolina Therapy Connection is now the first Certified Autism Center™ (CAC) in Eastern North Carolina. The CAC designation is granted by the International Board of Credentialing and Continuing Education Standards (IBCCES). This certification requires staff to complete autism-specific training and professional certification. Carolina Therapy Connection is one of only two therapy clinics in NC with the Certified Autism Center designation. The Carolina Therapy Connection listing for becoming a Certified Autism Center can be found here.
For more than 20 years, IBCCES has been the industry leader in cognitive disorder training and certification for education, healthcare, and corporate professionals around the globe. IBCCES provides evidence-based training and certification programs created in conjunction with clinical experts and individuals with autism in order to provide professionals serving individuals with cognitive disorders a better understanding of what these disorders are, industry best practices, and the latest research in these areas.
All Certified Autism Centers™ meet the following requirements:
- Dedicated to serving individuals with autism
- At least 80% of staff is trained and certified in the field of Autism
- Maintain compliance with National Healthcare/Education Accreditation standards
- Committed to ongoing training in autism
- Complies with HIPAA and ADA requirements
At Carolina Therapy Connection, our highly qualified and diverse staff provide a collaborative approach to apply extensive knowledge and understanding for children with ASD. We are committed to providing your family with the necessary tools, resources, and encouragement throughout your autism journey, making a way for greater resilience. Our team will work with your family to co-construct a sustainable story for how autism shapes who your child is, both personally and relationally.